May 26, 2020
Following the suspension of our seminars in early March due to the pandemic and responding to the need to continue providing remotely refresher training to our Members, HELMEPA immediately proceeded to adapt and conduct its voluntary seminars as webinars.
Among those is the seminar titled “Safety First“, which is part of the three-year (2019-2022) program “Enhancing Maritime Safety Culture in the Eastern Mediterranean”, implemented by HELMEPA in collaboration with Associate Members Hellenic Lloyd’s and DYNAMARINe in Greece as well as the sister association CYMEPA in Cyprus, with the kind support of the British independent global charity Lloyd’s Register Foundation (LRF)*.
More than 50 Merchant Marine Officers and shore-based executives of HELMEPA and CYMEPA Member companies attended live the first “Safety First” webinar between May 19th and 21st.
Lecturers kept the audience’s interest undiminished, confirmed by the large number of questions asked, with their excellent presentations on the following topics:
- Behavioral-based safety and safe planning and conduct of simultaneous operations on board (Messrs. D. Simakis and A. Theodorou, Hellenic Lloyd’s A.)
- Understanding the value of prevention through the cost of accidents (Ms. D. Ilia, The Swedish Club Greece)
- Safe mooring operations (Mr. N. Polymeris, Danaos Shipping Co. Ltd.)
- Marine accidents investigation – case studies from the Eastern Mediterranean region (Messrs. K. Moutzouvis and I. Nikolaou, Hellenic Bureau for Marine Casualties Investigation)
- Addressing the most critical human-related hazards to enhance maritime safety (Mr. K. Thiraios, HELMEPA).
The webinar will be repeated soon to give the opportunity also to other officers and company staff to attend.
(*) Note: A charitable foundation, helping to protect life and property by supporting engineering-related education, public engagement and the application of research www.lrfoundation.org.uk.